While CBD still has somewhat of a stigma in the health world, many leading doctors and healthcare professionals are waking up to the many benefits and advantages it offers individuals suffering from a wide variety of ailments and conditions. But before you use CBD, make sure you know the basics.
What is CBD?
There are lots of misconceptions surrounding CBD, what it is, and how it works. So before we dig into the benefits and how you can get the most out of them, let’s set the record straight.
According to the Mayo Clinic, “CBD is a chemical found in marijuana. CBD doesn’t contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive ingredient found in marijuana that produces a high. The usual CBD formulation is oil, but CBD is also sold as an extract, a vaporized liquid, and an oil-based capsule. Food, drinks, and beauty products are among the many CBD-infused products available online.”
The best way to think about CBD is as a natural calming drug. Reported benefits include relieving physical aches and pains, reducing anxiety, lowering stress levels, and potentially even reducing symptoms connected to certain neurological disorders like epilepsy.
How to Maximize the Benefits of CBD
Enjoying the benefits of CBD isn’t as simple as just swallowing a pill and feeling better. There’s a whole range of different products, strengths, qualities, etc. In order to maximize the benefits, you’ll need to:
- Look for Full-Spectrum Products
There are generally three different types of CBD on the market: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and CBD made from CBD isolate. To get the most out of CBD, you’ll want to find full-spectrum CBD products.
Full-spectrum products mean all of the cannabis compounds are included (not just the CBD). This ensures you get all of the therapeutic effects of the product. It creates what healthcare professionals call the “Entourage Effect,” meaning the active ingredients synergize to elevate the benefits.
- Choose the Right Product Type
CBD can be consumed in a variety of ways. The method you use will depend on personal preferences and/or the intended effect. Some popular options include:
- Inhalation. Inhaling CBD is one of the quickest ways to enjoy the positive effects. It goes directly into the lungs and into the bloodstream. Having said that, smoking and vaping CBD concentrate also has negative side effects and can be harsh on your throat and lungs.
- Topical application. You can find creams and balms that contain CBD. These products are easy to use and don’t require much effort. You can also target very specific areas, including your temples for headaches, feet for foot pain, etc.
- Ingestion. Ingesting edibles is one of the more popular options for consuming CBD. There are a variety of options here including capsules, gummies, and even snacks. You can even mix oils with normal food and drink.
- Suppositories. If you have trouble ingesting CBD, you can also try CBD hemp suppositories which provide very fast effects without the need to ingest or inhale the CBD.
Not sure which option to choose? Do your research and test out some different options. Each person’s body reacts differently, so you’ll have to choose the one that’s right for you.
- Buy Third-Party Tested
CBD products aren’t currently FDA approved, which can make it difficult to know which products to use and which ones to avoid. To increase your confidence in CBD products, only buy products that have been independently tested by third-party groups. This adds a layer of transparency and increases trust in the product.
- Find the Ideal Dosage
Dosages and potency are important when choosing CBD products. While you might be really excited to enjoy the full benefits of CBD, don’t go too fast. Start slow and begin with small dosages. You might even want to keep a journal or note on your phone tracking the dosages and results. Over time, you’ll find the perfect amount for your specific needs. Read more about CBD Business Tip: A Guide to CBD Marketing and Advertising.
Adding it All Up
CBD offers so many promising benefits for those struggling with stress, anxiety, and other health issues. But in order to enjoy the full complement of benefits, you’ll need to be mindful of the products you use and how you use them. Take the time to learn about CBD and you could see some major changes in your health and life!